WASHINGTON | U.S. warplanes have bombed three ground targets in Libya since the Obama administration announced early this month that the United States was shifting to a support role in the NATO-led air campaign, the Pentagon acknowledged Wednesday.
Col. Dave Lapan, a Pentagon spokesman, said that U.S. fighter jets have attacked Libyan air defense sites as part of the no-fly zone imposed last month.
Administration officials have said previously that the U.S. had halted strike sorties on April 4.
A senior military official said that three attacks were launched last week against Libyan surface-to-air missile sites. U.S. F-16 and EA-18G fighters carried out the strikes with 500-pound bombs.